Monday, November 29, 2010

Chardonnay = Undefeated

Long weekends are great….until they end. For the first time in months I came back from a long weekend not needing a vacation. I want one. For the most part I did pretty good, maintained my workout plan and didn’t stuff myself full of “thanks”. Spent thanksgiving night drinking Reisling and getting chatty/wrinkly in the hot tub with a girlfriend, so nice. I did put down quite a bit of the vino! Couldn’t help myself, I was celebrating and maintaining.

As for celebrating my bike friend Poodle had a surprise birthday party in the QC. PB&J drove and I tagged along. The party was fun, we arrived late, but we were a surprise! There also happened to be an open bar with nicely chilled Chardonnay. Poodle attempted graduating to the big girl drink of scotch and water…fail. After they poured her into the car headed for home, we headed for a local pub. Where I located even more chilled Chardonnay! CT let us crash at her place and filled us with yummy egg casserole for breakfast. Then it was off to…..wait for it….drink some wine! We met up with a recovering Poodle and other bike buddies at this nice little wine store. They let you bring in snacks (we had veggies, crackers, cheese and meat) while you taste their wines. It was a fun time, hangin out on comfy sofas, drinking and chatting.  

As for maintaining, it seems whenever I start cresting the happy mountain the Gods start rolling down boulders. My new found ‘energy’ makes dodging easier, so far I’ve avoided getting crushed. Just kinda blows when you realize that the people who should be blocking for you are actually yanking at your heels. In the past I would have gotten angry/hurt and cried my eyes out under a mound of blankets. But lately I’ve rediscovered my resilient side, I got this.


Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

No comments: