Wednesday, January 5, 2011

It's just a gift card


Ah yes first post of the New Year…..well I thought about posting about all the crap I learned in 2010. Yea, no. Instead think I’ll post about something that was on my mind today. Gift Cards.

Lately, mainly since the holidays I have seen all these stories on the news about gift cards. You know if you got a gift card that you don’t want you can trade them or sell them at these online sites. Headline News guy even suggested checking around to get the best deal. Um, what?

Who gets (or gives) a gift card they don’t want. Isn’t that kind of the point. So you can go get something you DO want with a gift card. What kind of gift card did you get that you just CAN’T use. If I got a Bass Pro Shop gift card (that would be weird) I could still use it. I at least know people who like Bass Pro Shop that I could get something for, or heck just give them the card. You know a pay it forward thing.

Seriously would you really put the time and effort into trading in the card or trying to get this best deal for said card? This is my thing with the whole Christmas gift-giving thing to begin with. Christmas gifts are for the kiddies, really you know the whole Santa deal. After you “grow up” is gift giving even really necessary?

Instead of agreeing to get each other gifts $20.00 or under; how about you keep your 20 and I’ll keep mine and we call it even. I’m inclined to believe most people give Christmas because they think they should, because they got one or because that what everyone else is doing anyway.

If I see something I thing a friend or family member needs or wants in June….I’ll get it for them, done. Oh and give it to them not save it for Christmas. That to me is special, I was thinking about you kind of a thing. Like I don’t want my boy of the moment to get me flowers for Valentines Day. Get me flowers on June 22nd that says you were thinking of me, that is special. But on the day when every Sue and Jane is getting says…oh, well everyone else is doing it.

We are such a society of do as I say not as I do. We tell kids not to do drugs because your friends are, don’t jump of a cliff because everyone else is. But we are constantly doing just that. Dude….it’s just a gift card.

1 comment:

Steph said...

I got a Home Depot gift-card once. I was thinking. WTF, am I gonna do with this?!?! I ended up getting a lot of awesome stuff.

Also- totally agree on the flowers thing.

What ever happened to "It's the thought that counts :)"